Head Start (for children ages 3 to 5)
Head Start is a national preschool program, which provides services to promote children’s academic, social and emotional development, as well as providing health and nutrition services for income-eligible children.
York County Head Start program maintains 10 classrooms and 5 home-visitors, and has an enrolment of 210 children. The classrooms are located in Sanford, Waterboro, Lyman, Biddeford, Kittery, and North Berwick. Home-based specialization/office sites are held in Waterboro, Biddeford, Buxton, Sanford, and Northern York County. Services are available to qualifying children throughout York County.
What Can Parents Expect?
- Health and Nutrition Education/Services;
- Information about how your child grows and learns;
- Services for children with disabilities;
- Opportunities for mothers, fathers and caregivers to connect and share information; and
- Opportunities to be involved in program decisions (Policy Council)
If my child is enrolled in a classroom what is expected of me?
- Take an active role in getting your child to program on scheduled days
- Work with your child’s teachers to develop goals for your child and family
- Let your child’s teacher know if your child will not be in class
- Work with the teacher to keep your child’s immunizations, physical & dental appointments up-to-date
- Participate in occasional home visits or center visits to discuss progress on goals
If my child is enrolled in Home Based Services what is expected of me?
- Actively participate in weekly home visits
- Work with your Home Visitor to develop goals for your child and family
- Attend 2 discovery days per month with your child
- Let your child’s Home Visitor know if you need to cancel a visit
- Work with your Home Visitor to keep your child’s immunizations, physical & dental appointments up-to-date
What are Discovery Days?
Discovery days provide an opportunity for parents and their infants and toddlers to come together twice a month, to a center especially designed for them. It is a time to play, explore, learn, share information, and have fun!
What do other parents say about Head Start?
“Thanks to Head Start, we are confident our son is ready for kindergarten in the fall. Head Start has helped us prepare for his team meetings.”
“As a single parent Head Start provided a safe preschool experience for my son while I worked to provide for my small family. I couldn’t be more happy with my son’s progress and success.”
“Head Start has allowed my child to come out of her shell; it has opened her mind to new friends and learning experiences.”