Friends & Family - Self Transport Program
YCCAC can reimburse mileage and tolls to persons with current MaineCare eligibility who drive themselves, or have a friend or family member drive them to eligible medical appointments. The current rate is $.21 per mile. (Subject to change by MaineCare.)
How Do I Get Started?
To be reimbursed for transportation mileage, you must do the following:
1. Call or come in
2. Complete a brief application, first time only - it can be done over the telephone.
3. We will give you mileage and verification forms, and information about how to submit them.
How Do I Schedule a Trip?
Once you have completed an application on your first call or visit to our office, follow steps 4-7.
4. Call us: Contact the Transportation Program prior to taking any trip for which you are requesting reimbursement.
5. Let us know who is being transported, the name and address of the doctor or medical provider being seen, the date the trip is scheduled and the type of appointment (e.g., dental, physical therapy, etc.)
6. Out of State Trip? Be sure to tell us if your trip is "out of state". We'll need additional information and time before the trip to get prior authorization from DHHS.
7. Verification: Get verification (a signature) from the clinic, doctor's office or other medical appointment for which the trip was made. These verification forms must be submitted with your voucher.
8. Parking & Tolls: If you pay tolls or parking fees on your trip, GET RECEIPTS and submit the originals with your voucher. They must have a date, the amount paid, and MUST be turned in with the voucher. Late receipts cannot be accepted.
9. What Miles Are Covered? MaineCare rules say friends or family members transporting a MaineCare eligible person will be paid for mileage only while that person is actually in the car. If they drop the person off and return later, only the mileage when the person is in the car will be covered. The driver must always take the shortest route.
10. Who Gets Reimbursed, the Rider or the Driver? The Friends & Family Program will issue a check to the MaineCare eligible person only (or a parent/guardian for a child). It is up to them to distribute the funds to their driver. Reimbursement takes approximately 2 weeks to process.
11. What Types of trips are covered? The following is a list of health services for which a MaineCare recipient may request reimbursement for transportation expenses. Only health care services listed here are eligible for reimbursement. (Subject to change by MaineCare)
- Adult Day Care
- Certified family and pediatric nurse practitioner services
- Day habilitation services (including clients residing in nursing homes)
- Day health services
- Dental services for children and young adults up to age 21. Adults limited to acute care, oral surgery, extractions, emergency treatment, and other dental services for members with qualifying medical conditions.
- Durable medical equipment and supply dealer
- Family Planning Clinic
- Hospital services, inpatient & outpatient
- Independent laboratory and X-ray
- Mental health services
- Nurse midwife
- Occupational therapist
- Optometrist, Optician
- Pharmacy (following medical appointment only)
- Physical therapist
- Physician: M.D. & D.O.
- Rehabilitative services
- Rural health clinic
- Speech & hearing services
- STD screening clinic
If you need to take a medical trip that is not covered by MaineCare, we MAY have another program that can help. Just ask.