Home Ownership Education
YCCAC's Home Ownership Education course is committed to educating the public about the complicated process of purchasing a home. We provide comprehensive home buyer education classes to anyone who wishes to purchase, or is in the process of purchasing a home. The program also provides individual financial counselling that can help borrowers understand the opportunities available to them and turn their dreams of home ownership into reality.
In the past two years, 465 certificates of course completion were issued by YCCAC. This certificate is a requirement for the Affordable Housing programs of YCCAC, Maine State Housing Authority, and Rural Development Home Loans.
STEP by STEP - Turn your Dream of Home Ownership into Reality
Course subjects include:
Preparing for Home Ownership
- Learn the benefits of home ownership
- Budgeting household finances
- How to clear up any credit issues before applying to a lender
- Prepare to apply to lenders for a mortgage
Shopping for a New Home - A local realtor will be a guest speaker
- Be an informed buyer
- Participants learn how to work with a Realtor
- Home inspections
- Learn how to make an offer, and the legal aspects of a purchase and sale agreement
How to Obtain a Mortgage - A local lender will be the guest speaker
- Learn the step-by-step process of obtaining a home mortgage
- Types of mortgages available
- Learn how to calculate your income and expenses to determine your buying potential
- Closing cost expenses
YCCAC's Affordable Homes Program
- Learn about our special programs for low income eligible people
- Low income home repair loans
- MSHA and Rural Development loan programs
Life as a Homeowner
- Home insurance, energy conservation and heating systems
- Building equity, maintenance and repairs
- Budgeting for routine expenses
- Preventing foreclosure
Classes are open to everyone and all class spaces are handicap accessible.
Classes are scheduled monthly at various locations throughout York County
• Class Materials Fee: $30.00 per person or $50.00 per couple.
• To register, click here or call 324-5762 x2961
YCCAC is a member of hoMEworks organization, whose mission is to develop a standardized, comprehensive home ownership education program to be delivered by a network if industry professionals in a neutral environment throughout Maine.
Thank you to the sponsors of the Homeownership Education Program:
Kennebunk Savings Bank
Sanford Institution for Savings
Citizens Housing and Planning Association
Maine State Housing
Department of Housing and Urban Development